Your action is needed no later than Wednesday morning!
This year’s proposed budget calls for the removal of $147,910 specified as the amount necessary to operate the Kensington Hatchery!
The following are impacts of the loss of this hatchery:
• Valuable genetic traits defining Connecticut River salmon will be lost forever.
• Trout in the Classroom program may be lost due to the need for chilled water (only available at Kensington ) during egg development .
• The Salmon-in-Schools program, sponsored by the Connecticut River Salmon Association, would be terminated after this school year which would effect 60-70 schools and some 6,000 students.
• Up to 7000 Atlantic Salmon fishing trips in Connecticut will be lost with the end of the brood stocking program.
• The unique Seeforellen Brown trout will be lost to Connecticut anglers.
Take Action: Write the representatives of the Appropriations Committee. The easy way to do this is below. This takes about 3 minutes.
1. Got to this link: http://www.cbia.com/ga/CT_Appropriations_Committee/-AAPP
2. Select the “Check All” box in the center right of the page. This will check all the “Add to email” boxes on the page
3. Scroll down and click on the “Next Compose Email” button at the bottom of the page.
4. On the form that appears enter your personal information and cut and paste the info below into the subject line and the message fields.
5. Scroll down and click on the “Preview Message” button.
6. Scroll down and click on the “Send Email Now” button
Subject: Protect the Kensington Hatchery
As an angler, cold water conservationist and supporter of youth education, I oppose the cuts to that would close or curtail activities at the Kensington Hatchery. I ask the the subcommittee protect this important resource for anglers, conservationists and the school children of this state.
Thanks for your help.